What is it about being grounded that makes us feel so good? When we are grounded, we are fully present in the moment and in our bodies. We are conscious of how we feel and are able to control our reactions. We feel centered, balanced and in the flow of life. Being grounded all the time is a difficult task because our minds naturally wander into “what if” territory, and the “could have, should have, would haves”. Our minds leave our bodies and end up floating above us swirling in and out of various states of worry and stress. For highly sensitive people, it is extremely important to stay as grounded as possible; otherwise you will be walking around like a raw nerve.
So what happens when we live in an ungrounded state?
- We feel mentally, emotionally and physically drained
- We arrive somewhere without knowing how we got there
- We are easily affected by other people’s energy
- We have a hard time focusing
- We are clumsy
- We rush around without being present and in the moment
Ways in which you can ground yourself:
- Walk Barefoot. Research has shown that it takes approximately 80 minutes of walking barefoot for the free electrons in the earth to enter your bloodstream where they transform the blood by thinning it, reducing inflammation. The grounding effect is so profound that if you are on blood thinners, you have to be careful as to how much you walk barefoot otherwise you may thin your blood too much. Sand, grass, soil, ceramic tile and bare concrete or brick are all good grounding surfaces. You will want to stay away from asphalt, wood, vinyl, tarmac and rubber or plastic.
- Get Moving. Take deep breaths, jump around, and shake out the areas that are painful. Getting the blood moving by doing something aerobic will keep you grounded. Jump some rope, walk your dog, skip, run, or my favorite… DANCE. Put some music on and have your own little dance party.
- Try Meditating. This may seem daunting to those who haven’t tried it before but I have a simple solution to meditation. You Tube. There are currently more types of meditation out there than you can count, recorded by people from all over the world. If you are good at visualizing things, meditation will be a really good thing for you to try.
- Nature Calls. A great way to feel grounded is to be out in nature. Go for a hike, walk on the beach, drive to the desert, or sit in a meadow or garden. Don’t let where you live keep you from going outside. If you live in the middle of the city, find a park and go there without an agenda. Just be.
- Eat Well. Make sure you are paying attention to what is IN your food. If the majority of your diet is filled with sugar, caffeine, empty calories and fat, you will have a hard time grounding yourself. Give yourself the nutrients your body needs to function properly and in return you will not only feel better but you will also be on your way to being more grounded.
- Be Happy. Surround yourself with like-minded people. Stay away from energy zappers and drama seekers and find those who are nurturing and supportive of your dreams and life. When we can’t choose whom we have to be around (such as a work environment), it is imperative that we have a sweet circle of peeps to fall back on to replenish our energy and keep us grounded.
- Be Organized. This is a new one for me that I’m trying to make work. Write a to do list each night of everything you would like to accomplish the following day (not on the back of an envelope) but in a more appropriate place such as a special note book just for such things. By keeping your scattered abilities at bay, you will actually feel closer to the ground.
I spent years soaring above our planet and after I realized how ungrounded I was, making an effort to stay on our planet has been extremely beneficial. Not only can I leave the house without having to turn around 2 or 3 times to get things I forgot, but I am able to be present and in control of my daily life. If you need a little extra help, we created a body mist to help ground and protect yourself. AWAKEN is made with the gemstones black tourmaline (very grounding) and blue kyanite (great for communication). This spray helps align all the chakras and subtle bodies, clearing pathways and meridians. It restores Qi to the physical body and promotes a calming effect to the whole being. I wish you all well and hope that you take the time to ground yourself as best as you can.
Stand Strong ~